Astitva.... The Fountainhead

Sunday, December 26, 2004

Eating out... in Singapore

It's been a long and busy week and after having clocked in 65 hrs this week you want to treat yourself to some good food. You hope that it comes with good service which is hard to find in Singapore unless you are paying through the nose. Now I am not a champ at trying out every new place that opens up in Singapore, but I do my due. Though being a vegetarian and being a big fan of the north indian food does limit my experience. Now before I go ahead and tell you about the places I like to visit, I'll issue a disclaimer. Please try out the following places at your own risk. I don't give a damn nor take any responsibility of your experience.

Heritage - This is one place that I do love to visit and do think is one of the top Indian Restaurants in Singapore. It offers an excellent cuisine of Veg/Non-Veg North Indian Food. Though I have not tried the non veg food myself but have paid hefty bills for friends who have and loved it. It can be a great place to go for a date as well. The service is excellent and more often than not you would get personalised treatment. It can be a great visit on a weekend though being far from the city (Bukit Timah) is a negative for the Heritage.


Saffron Bistro - Its Friday night and you are craving for some North Indian food. Assuming that your office is in the city and you are not in the mood to travel a lot or spend through your the nose, then Saffron Bistro is the place to go. Located bang at Boat Quay and offering Naan and Rice on the house on Fridays, you are sure going to return home much more satisfied that you would have expected to. The place has a calming ambience about it and gives its customers quite warm a service. And before I forget, don't leave the place without trying out the masala chai.

Aangan - Good lunch buffet that do not leave a hole in your pocket are hard to find in Singapore. The Aangan lunch buffet is one of them. Priced at a modest 10 SGD the lunch can very fulfilling. Located at Funan, this place is ideal for taking a long lunch break during a hard days work. Make sure that you book in advance as getting a table can be hard and you surely don't want to loose on time if you need to return to office.

I have a couple of other places in my mind too, but I think I'll leave them for my next post.
Enjoy your meal!!