Astitva.... The Fountainhead

Thursday, May 12, 2005

Where have I been #2

1 week in Houston things did not look that bad. The next 5 weekdays were spent mainly on work. Early evenings (by Singapore work standards) was not much of help considering there was not much to do after work. One great discovery was that Main Street had many great bars that were good places to visit. Most of them served good food and good drinks. Given that there were not many (read “none”) restaurants in that area that could be found open in the evenings, the bars ended up being my dinner hangouts for the next few days. One of those nights was St Peter’s night which got all the entire main Street lit up. I had not seen as much security on any other day in those 2 weeks. Cowboy dressed policemen on huge 7 feet tall horses was a worthwhile sight in itself. It was quite surprising that all clubs/discs have to close by 2:00AM. This was way worse that Singapore where we bitch about discs closing at 4:00 AM. Drinking almost each night in Houston was just a start. I never imagined what the next few days would have in store for me.

I left Houston on Saturday for my holiday to UK. It was my first big holiday in the past 2 years and it had to be a blast. Sis and Jiju were at the Gatwick airport in the wee hours of 6:00 AM on a Sunday morning. How I wish I had gotten a flight to Heathrow instead, Gatwick was too far from their place and comparatively Heathrow was next door. God knows they would have gotten up at 4:30 AM to get to the airport in time. Had a great breakfast cooked by Sis and Jiju. Their place is a very cosy house in the town Maidenhead. Maidenhead is just 40 minutes of train ride from London, its like living in NTU in Singapore if Orchard is the equivalent of London. The concept of small towns is extremely prevalent in UK. A few thousand people get together and that would make a Town. Take some of these Towns and you have a County. Some English may blame me of oversimplifying their great country but that’s how I perceive of it and wouldn’t give a penny’s worth about it.
Thee are many great things to talk about UK, its very green, has some great castles which people tend to preserve and has a lot of historical reference to any place that one may visit. The next 5 days spent in Britain have a lot to be mentioned. Look out for the next post